The Dalhousie Philosophy Department is among the most active philosophy departments in Canada. Our graduates do well on entrance exams into other disciplines; as well many major philosophy departments in Canada have employed our former students.
We specialize in the analytic philosophical tradition and offer opportunity for study in a wide variety of fields including: Ethics and Meta-ethics, Bioethics, Epistemology, Feminist Theory, Philosophy of Mind and Language, Logic and Philosophy of Biology.
Why choose Philosophy at Dalhousie?
We are recognized as the strongest Philosophy Department east of Montreal, with an active, engaged intellectual community both in and out of the classroom. In our program, students develop creative thinking, careful reasoning, and lucid writing skills. In Philosophy classes, you will learn to think deeply, systematically, rigorously, and productively about profound issues of life that affect us all.
Our program encourages independent thinking; makes us more thoughtful, tolerant citizens; and will prepare you for any career because philosophy is the ultimate transferable skill.
Top 8 reasons to study Philosophy at Dalhousie:
- Access: Senior professors often teach junior classes, and class sizes are small compared to other major universities.
- Excellence: Faculty are evaluated very highly by students and frequently win top teaching awards.
- Community: Professors and students from all over the world present and discuss theories in our our stimulating weekly Colloquia.
- Undergraduate Society: Our students put on undergraduate talks, host weekly informal gatherings for intellectual discussion, and edit an undergraduate philosophy journal, Corvus.
- Active research: Our faculty win grants and publish regularly in major journals. Research affiliated with the department accounts for 20% of presentations at Canadian Philosophical Association annual meetings.
- Comprehensive: Program curriculum covers traditional areas of philosophy, like Ethics, Epistemology and Logic, and newer fields of inquiry like Feminism, Biomedical Ethics and Philosophy of Race.
- Well-connected: We help place students who wish to do graduate work in the best Philosophy graduate programs in the world.
- Brain power: Philosophy students rate highly on LSAT, GRE and MCAT examinations—at the same level as physics or engineering students
Visit the Department of Philosophy undergraduate microsite:
Friday Afternoon Colloquium
Hugh Mellor,Emeritus, Cambridge UniversityTitle: "artists & Engineers"
New Website Coming!
We are currently finalizing the updated Philosophy website which we are very much anticipating.
We will keep this site maintained until the new web is ready to launch.
Around the Department
Every Tuesday 11:30 - 1:30 .
Sponsored by the Dalhousie Undergraduate Philosophy Society. All are welcome
Department of Philosophy is now on Facebook! Please 'like' us at: